Tuesday, February 02, 2010

Chili with Chocolate (Slow Cooker/Crock Pot)

I am trying to find some slow cooker/crock pot recipes that my family likes. I was going through this little grocery store cookbook with my two girls (7 and 8 years old), asking them which recipe sounded good to them. We got to this recipe and they both thought it sounded wonderful. What could be bad....it has chocolate in it!

I wasn't sure how they would like it. As long as it wasn't too spicy, I knew my 8 year old would like it. She likes chili. My 7 year old has never really eaten chili. Recently she has loved sloppy joes. The recipe only serves 4 so I thought it was pretty safe to try.

THEY LOVED IT!!!! Did you read that? LOVED IT! Both girls went back for seconds! I couldn't believe it. SCORE one for mom! This is a keeper!

Chili with Chocolate
Makes 4 servings

(When I made it, I cut down on the chili powder and did not add the hot pepper sauce.)

1 pound 90% lean ground beef
1 medium onion, chopped
3 cloves garlic, minced and divided
1 can (28 oz) diced tomatoes, undrained
1 can (15 1/2 oz) chili beans in mild or spicy sauce, undrained (I used Ranchero Style Chili Beans)
2 tablespoons chili powder (I used 1 tablespoon)
1 tablespoon grated semisweet baking chocolate
1 1/2 teaspoons ground cumin (I used about 1 teaspoon)
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
1/2 teaspoon hot pepper sauce (I did not add this at all)

1. Brown ground beef, onion and 1 clove garlic inlarge nonstick skillet over medium-high heat, stirring to separate meat. Drain and discard fat.

2. Place meat mixture in slow cooker. Add tomatoes with juice, beans with sauce, chili powder, remaining 2 cloves garlic and chocolate; mix well.

3. Cover; cook on LOW 5 to 6 hours. Add cumin, salt, pepper and hot sauce during last hour of cooking.

No comments: