Wednesday, November 05, 2008

Meatloaf

A true comfort food. This is my mom and brother's recipe. My brother came up with the recipe and my mom added the Italian Sausage.

I need to warn you,  it will make 8 to 11 loaves of meatloaf. Yes, you did read that correctly. It depends on how big you make each loaf. When I made this I made eleven 1-1/4 lb loaves. Put them in the freezer and take them out when you want an easy meal. My girls love this dinner!

Meatloaf

6 lbs of ground beef
4 lbs Sicilian Sweet Italian Sausage (take out of casing)
Put all the meat in a very large bowl.

1 loaf cheap white bread
3 cubes (1 tbsp) beef bouillon
Mix the bouillon with 1 quart hot water in a separate bowl. Tear up the bread and mush up in the bouillon water till very mushy. Put aside.

Add to ground beef mixture:
8 eggs (beaten)
12 oz French Fried Onion Rings
1-1/2 cup or so grated Parmesan cheese
about 1 cup chopped parsley

Add the bread/bouillon mixture and combine everything really good with your hands. Make sure all is mixed thoroughly.

Take out whatever you want for tonight's dinner and freeze the rest. I divide it up into 2 pound packages in zip lock bags.

I freeform the meatloaf on a tray in a roasting pan so the fat drips to the bottom instead of soaking into the meat.

Bake 2 pounds at 350˚ F for about 1 hour, 15 minutes.

If you put some potatoes in the oven to bake at the same time, all you have to do is make a salad or vegetable and dinner is done.

No comments: