Tuesday, September 20, 2005

Slow-Cooker Minestrone

I am pretty new with slow-cooker meals, but I can tell you I LOVE them! Cooking for a busy family doesn't get much easier than the slow-cooker (crock pot). If you don't have a slow-cooker and you work full time, my suggestion would be to get one with a timer. It might be more expensive, but they must have one on the market that you can set what time you want it to start cooking. I love mine, but I really have to be home to set it. I have found that most recipes only cook for 5 hours or so. This is not going to work if you leave your house in the morning at 7am and don't get home until 6pm. Unless I'm missing something.

Here is a great winter soup. Serve with some good french bread. It also freezes very well, so you don't have to worry about all those left overs. Save them for a night when you don't have dinner planned and don't feel like cooking. It's great to have something to pull out of the freezer!

Slow-Cooker Minestrone
from "Fix-It and Forget-It Cookbook" by Dawn J. Ranch and Phyllis Pellman Good

3 cups water
1 1/2 lbs stewing meat, cut into bite-sized pieces
1 medium onion, diced
4 carrots, diced
14.5 oz can tomatoes
2 tsp salt
10 oz pkg frozen mixed vegetables, or your choice of frozen vegetables
1 Tbsp dried basil
1/2 cup dry vermicelli (angel hair pasta)
1 tsp dried oregano
grated Parmesan cheese

Combine all ingredients except cheese in slow cooker. Stir well.

Cover. Cook on Low 10-12 hours, or on High 4-5 hours.

Top individual servings with Parmesan cheese.

No comments: